Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Nothin' but class

My father decided to take my mom out for dinner. He thought that he would class it up, and decided to wear a tie. My mom was not impressed, but I was... and this is how I got invited to the dinner plans.


It is always surprising that my mom has not yet just decided to think my dad is funny, but is still so disapproving. Maybe she feels this is her role, and she is just owning it. But some of this stuff is gold.

On the way to dinner, the madre was talking about people from church. They have immaculate homes, they have a lot of energy, they are righteous people. My father chimes in, "I can be self righteous too, if you want me to be." Cue mom reaction, "I didn't say self righteous, I just said righteous." Cue Jaime reaction, "Hahahahahaha."

While at dinner the ma was saying that she would never want someone (i.e. my brother or I ...not said but totally implied) to get married, just so they are married. The pa, under his breath, said, "Yeah....(sigh)...that's what I did."

We got in the car, and we were driving home. We were turning out of the parking lot when my father asked, "Do you want to stop somewhere, or go straight home?" My mom said that she wanted to just go straight home. He asked, "Would you like to stop at Stater Brothers?" She obviously answered that she did not. "Would you like to stop at Henry's?" No, she did not. "Would you like to stop here?" He asked as he approached a read light. "Too late." And he ran the red light. My mother immediately started talking about him getting a ticket. I immediately started laughing drowning out whatever it was she was saying.

We got home. They were walking inside the door. And my father gave one last jab. "Don't trip until after I get you insured."

Good times for Pa and I... I am not sure how the mom felt though...

No comments:

Post a Comment